Link: Get a map and directions from the AA. Enter your postcode and CM2 6LQ
How to get there:
- Bus: The prison is served by Eastern National Buses (routes 48,53,55,56,353).
- Train: The Prison is 3/4 of a mile from Chelmsford Railway station.
- Car: Via the M11 Junction 7: At junction 7 take A414 Harlow and follow through to Chelmsford. At Widford roundabout (church on your left) take first left exit. Take 2nd exit at next roundabout (Supabowl on left) Take 2nd exit at next roundabout Princes Road at Army & Navy roundabout (with flyover) go straight over- Colchester/Harwich A138. Straight over next small roundabout. At traffic lights take left hand slip road into Sandford Road. Follow road to the end turn left at traffic lights into Springfield Road – Prison entrance is almost immediately on your left.
- Via the M25-A12 from London: From M25 take A12 to Chelmsford. Do not take the first Chelmsford slip road off the A12 but continue on to the 2nd slip road (Southend A130). Follow Chelmsford signs to Army & Navy roundabout take 4th exit A138 Colchester/Harwich. Then continue as above.
- Via the A12 from Colchester: From Colchester take A12 London bound – take the first Chelmsford slip road off the A12 (Chelmsford/Boreham). Keep in right hand lane of slip road and take 3rd exit off roundabout. You will immediately join another roundabout, take 1st exit A138. Go straight over the next roundabout and take the 1st exit at the following roundabout. At the next roundabout take the 3rd exit UNDER THE BRIDGE. Follow this road (Springfield Road) straight over a small roundabout and just after the 2nd set of traffic lights the Prison is immediately on your left.
- M11 Junction 8: From junction 8 take A120 towards Great Dunmow/Chelmsford. When nearing North Springfield you will travel along Essex Regiment Way – with a series of small roundabouts. At the roundabout at North Springfield (Council tip to your right) take left hand road A138 towards Boreham. Go straight over the next 2 roundabouts – at the 3rd roundabout (Sainsbury's to your left) turn right on to the A1137 Chelmsford. Go straight over the first small roundabout and at the next roundabout take the 3rd exit UNDER the bridge. Follow this road straight over a small roundabout and just after the 2nd set of traffic lights the Prison is immediately on your left.
- There are no parking spaces available at the prison for visitors. The nearest public car park is Riverside Ice & Lesuire on Victoria Road approx 5 minutes walk from the prison.
Visitors may request the use of the disabled parking bay. When you arrive at the prison you must show your badge to gate staff.
Local places to Stay
Red Lion Pub - 01245 264 255
Bowells Hotel - 01245 287 587
Chelmer Hotel - 01245 353 360
Premier Inn - 0870 238 3310 Link: Premier Inn